Thursday, July 07, 2005

Wrestling News July 7, 2005

Yesterday, Spike Dudley posted on his website his feelings on being released by the WWE. “Hey, they gave me a great oppurtunity and maybe I didn't make the most of it. That's life. At first I was pissed, but I woke up this morning feeling, I don't know, alive. Check this out, this morning I woke up and visioned having a wrestling match without a script. I visioned going to an arena and actually having fun again. I visioned not having to go to the hospital after being hurt by a "future" WWE superstar who may look good but have the wrestling ability of a dead walrus. I visioned pitching an angle without having to get approval from writers who 6 years ago were buying ECW tickets and making signs(it's true). Hell, I visioned blading!!! I really don't want to burn bridges(if I haven't already) and all that, but that company sucks the life out of you and then spits you out. Enough on them.

I want to love wreslting again. I want to be passionate about the business. It's been so good to me, I want to give back. I don't know how yet, but it will happen.”

SD: I’m sure Spike is more than grateful for even being hired by the WWE at all. Given his size and type of charisma I never thought he would be in the company. I wish Spike the best. He can give some indie companies a boost with his name and abilities.

Lost in the news amid all the recent WWE cuts was their hiring of Big Vito (aka Skull Von Krush in ECW). He will probably be tagging with Nunzio if he doesn’t get a release.

SD: About this signing I just have to say “It’s about time.”

World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) has appointed Kevin Allton to the newly created position of sponsorship and promotions manager based in the company’s London office. Reporting to Jonathan Sully, vice president, international marketing, Allton will drive the company’s sponsorship acquisition and promotions programme across international territories including the UK, Australia, Italy and Germany.

SD: A bit about Allton’s history at the link. I don’t know enough about WWE’s overseas division to comment on this.


DirecTV announced a special rate if you purchase the next three WWE pay per views — Great American Bash, SummerSlam and Unforgiven. The cost is $34.95 each or all three for $88.95. Also announced is a free half hour special called SummerSlam recall which features clips of the greatest moments in Summerslam history. This will be on channel 123 July 21-23. I suppose I could do a mini-review of that if I remember.


ROH updated their news today. Among some discussion of upcoming shows and angles, they comment on more: There is a lot of talk about all the talent that has recently parted ways with WWE. ROH officials are highly interested in making one of the released talents a fulltime member of the roster. There is also interest in two other talents. Who will pop up in ROH next? Keep watching....

SD: Let the speculations begin – from me! Let’s take a look at who who the one WWE release they are interested in would be. Billy Kidman would add some starpower but I am not sure he’d fit in right. Shannon Moore is a very strong possibility especially if the Matt Hardy trials work out. Spike Dudley would add name value as well but I don’t see him fitting in either. Charlie Haas would be a great fit for the Pure Wrestling division. But my money is on James Yun (Akio/Jimmy Yang). His work would fit in very well with the roster. He won’t come with the large price tag that a Kidman or Spike would demand. And the ROH fans would be highly appreciative of what he brings to the table.

As for who the other two are, I have no idea. Your guess is as good as mine.

More: Negotiations continue with Rhyno, although no dates are set. Rhyno recently watched several new ROH home releases and was impressed with the style of action.

In other Rhyno news, his no-compete clause is now up. He starts working the indies this Friday Norval, Ontario. Next weekend he is main eventing Jersey All Pro Wrestling against the Sandman.

SD: This is great news for fans of the Man Beast. A Samoa Joe/Rhyno feud would be hot but I’d be worried about Rhyno’s surgically repaired neck.

Total Nonstop Action Wrestling will release its newest DVD, “Enigma—The Best of Jeff Hardy” this Friday, July 8th. Get ready for one of wrestling’s most electrifying exclusives. This double disc DVD features the non-stop action from one of wrestling’s most surprising and colorful characters.

SD: I just don’t know… Has he really done anything in TNA that could be considered a “best of” even if it is only the bet of his own stuff? And two discs worth…? Serious fans only.


You can find an article about DDP’s Yoga book here.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ROH updated their news today. Among some discussion of upcoming shows and angles, they comment on more: There is a lot of talk about all the talent that has recently parted ways with WWE. ROH officials are highly interested in making one of the released talents a fulltime member of the roster. There is also interest in two other talents. Who will pop up in ROH next? Keep watching....

I think that the one talent that ROH is "highly interested in" is James Yun, and the two other talents are probably Charlie Haas and Shannon Moore. Yun has all the skills, and is a unique commodity in that he's a Japanese wrestler living in the U.S. Haas and Moore would be good up and comers who could make an impact following the loss of CM Punk to ROH.

Chris Arrant
www.chrisarrant.com

6:25 PM, July 07, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home