Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Wrestling News July 5, 2005

There’s an excellent interview with Elix Skipper up at PWInsider. Some parts are kayfabed but overall those moments get lost. Here are a couple snippets I found interesting:
AW: From July to December of 2003 you were not on any TNA events. Was it the Japanese dates or personal issues that kept you off PPV?

Elix Skipper: What really happened was a mixture of Japan offering me more money and I got into a monetary dispute with TNA. I thought I should have gotten a raise, they told me money was tight yet they were bringing in guys who made twice my fee. I don’t care about them making money, more power to them but the people that were there week in and out weren’t being taken care of. They wanted me to hold my request until things got better financially and matter of fact we were planning to do a good deal tonight. I told them that’s great but when I go to the bank the teller doesn’t know I did a good deal she knows I am getting a crappy paycheck wrestling and any night could be my last time in a ring. I decided to go to Japan and said they could call me when they had things figured out. Their form of punishment was not calling me but it didn’t matter due to the Japan money. In December they called telling me they had more money to spend and I should come back to Nashville . I told them despite getting money I was still going to Japan but things worked out.


AW: On November 7th TNA hosted the first three hour PPV called Victory Road . But people tell me you don’t remember any of it including the Last Team Standing bout with AMW. What do you remember from that day?

Elix Skipper: 100% truth. I only remember talking to Sandra the promotion’s seamstress at the building; we had been working on a new scheme. From that meeting on I don’t remember anything including the match. People told me I came to in the hospital with the nurses removing my wrist tape and me saying you can’t do that I haven’t had my match yet. They told me Elix its 1am and the show is over. I said no way I wrestled I am dry; I was dry from being at the hospital for hours. I didn’t believe them and I asked the doctor who cared for me what time it was and he didn’t say Prime Time, he said 1:21am . The next day I watched a copy of the show at least four times and I watched our match. To this day I only remember what I saw since they told me some point in the match the concussion occurred and I suffered from short term memory loss.


SD: This really tells you what wrestling is about: making money and having fun but getting hurt doing it. It isn’t an easy life for any of them. When you have somebody taking these chances that Elix does you know he just needs to do what is best for his family. If that means signing with the WWE if they offer him a contract then he’ll do it if the money is right. It isn’t selling out. It’s not selling yourself short for the few.

Christian tells SLAM! Magazine that his rise up the ladder is a result of the fans accepting him rather than anything storyline driven. "That's what I think it should be all about. The fans are the ones we're there to entertain. They decide if they want to cheer for me or want to boo. They were just ready to see me in that light and I feel like I'm ready to step up. It's about capitalising on the opportunity when it's put in front of you, and I've done that."

You can also read about Jericho on his angle, Edge on indie wrestling and more at the link.

SD: And I just have to say that it’s about time fans accepted him. He’s a great talker and Smackdown is without an interview segment. A return of the Peep show would help him out even more.

Here’s the latest Press Release from NWA-Ohio and Dave Nelson NWA Ohio has just announced a new alliance with Southern Championship Wrestling and NWA Tri-State!

Robert Hochman of SCW Wrestling has joined NWA Ohio and will
be teaming up with David Nelson Sr., current owner and CEO of NWA Ohio. NWA Ohio is also working with NWA Tri State owner Richard Arpin and will be adding him to the team as the Assistant to Promotions & Operations, currently headed by Mr. Nelson. NWA Tri State is in the final stages of finalizing the deal.

The new alliance will bring together three strong wrestling companies and present major shows in the coming weeks. More details and show dates will be announced as they become available.


SD: Wait and see…

Misc. Notes
If you’ve been following the JBL/Blue Meanie situation then Smackdown is a “can’t miss” show for you. Spoilers can be found in the usual places.

The Diva Search slip-up isn’t news. It was pre-planned by her.

Joey Styles discusses the ECW:ONS buyrate and more here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home