Saturday, June 25, 2005

Brock Lesnar Wants Back!

To say that former WWE Champion Brock Lesnar left the company that made him a household name on bad terms would be putting it mildly. After being given a push very few wrestlers receive in their careers and to leave to make a name for himself in another sport without helping to create a replacement star, Brock possibly made the biggest mistake in his life. In an article with the Bismarck Tribune, Brock Lesnar explains why he left — and shows a change of heart.

Brock explains to the paper that he just wasn't ready for the work despite his desire to succees
: "I committed to myself," he continued. "I committed to Vince McMahon and I wanted to be a pro wrestler. From the day I signed on the dotted line, I turned that switch, and I just wanted to become an entertainer. I got the same feeling out of it as I did as an amateur wrestler."

When he was promoted to the main roster, Lesnar was given the moniker "Next Big Thing" and quickly was pushed to the top, winning the WWE championship within months. But even as Lesnar continued to evolve into a strong all-around performer for McMahon, he began to struggle with the demands of the business.

"I wasn't ready for what (McMahon) had put on my plate," Lesnar said. "I couldn't eat it all. I tried to, you know. That's just me being me. He asked me, 'Are you ready for this?' And I just said, 'Bring it on. Let's go.'

"I wasn't ready to be traveling 300 days a year," he said. "I wasn't ready for the money. I wasn't ready for the responsibilities. I wasn't ready to be a father. I wasn't ready to be a husband. I wasn't ready for a lot of things. I had a lot of growing up to do. I was forced to grow up."

After deciding to leave the company, Brock attempted to join the NFL. As we all know, this didn't exactly pan out. After the season ended Brock got an invitation to watch a New Japan Pro-Wrestling show. This proved to be a mistake on his behalf and ultimately resulted in the lawsuit he filed against the WWE. Because he was introduced to the fans in attendance, the WWE contends that he appeared for another wrestling promotion which is strictly forbidden by the no compete contract he signed.

Brock, an athlete, feels that this contract unfairly keeps him from earning a living wage given his lack of skills in other job markets. After repeated stalling by lawyers on both sides of the issue, Brock now realizes his error in judgment.

"I'm ready for it now," he said. "... With the lawsuit and everything going on, I just hope we can resolve this thing, and Vince can open his doors to me and just give me a second chance.

"I have no idea (where it stands)," he added. "I guess it stands on the end of your pencil, when it gets on the Internet. That's probably where he'll catch the news. It's either that or me calling him. But I don't know what else I'd be. What else is there for me?"

For wrestling fans, this is only part of what could be fantastic news. Brock was an immensely popular and gifted professional wrestler. With him as the WWE Champion of the SmackDown brand television ratings, merchandising sales and house show ticket sales all increased. The fan reaction to his final match at WrestleMania XX was loud, angry and full of hurt. They had taken to this man and he was leaving them for another sport. If fans didn't care then there would have been little reaction at all.

The next move, and the right move, for Vince McMahon to take would be to allow Brock Lesnar back into the fold — with provisions of course. Vince certainly needs to protect his own product and investment. First, they would need to have a clause that if Brock should attempt the company in the same manner he did the last time then the no-compete clause is back in effect.

Next, Brock needs to work his way back to his former spot. WWE can't attempt to bury him for his actions though. There is far too much money to be made by both parties to be playing that game.

Lastly, the company needs to be sure that the situation doesn't happen again. By this I mean that they need to keep an eye on him. Any signs of stress and they need to talk with him, give him counseling, time off, something. Life on the road is very stressful. But when you have a talent of Brock's caliber then you need to be sure that he can handle his workload. It might not seem fair to others but it is for the best for the health and wealth of all involved in the company.

I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say the fans will welcome Brock back to the squared circle. We're ready to forgive him if he's ready to accept his role in the company as well. Brock Lesnar is without a doubt one of the most talented rookies to step foot in the WWE ring since 2003. Here's hoping that the isues between the two parties can get resolved.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home