Thursday, June 23, 2005

Wrestling News 6/23/2005

Booker T signs for another 2 years

"I recently renewed my contract," Booker told the popular show Wrestletalk Radio recently. "I tried to sign for just one more year but the company believed in me enough to ask me to sign for two, so I will definitely be on your TV for two more years."

SD: Good news for his fans.
Of the controversial storyline with Kurt Angle:"I am definitely comfortable with it. It's TV, no different then anything else you can watch. If you take it too seriously you would get caught up on. Everything we have done has been good quality and good taste and I wouldn't let it be any other way. I don't have any say in writing the storyline but I have a say in what my wife and I are willing to do. We are all human beings, we have to leave that arena and come home so there has to be a certain level of respect."

SD: There you have it: Booker says he and Sharmell were fine with it. I do question the phrase "good taste" but compared to many other programs on television I can't really argue.

On his a Stevie Ray's training school:
"When I was a kid everyone had their own unique style and you knew why you liked them or hated them. The way people are trained today the kids don't get that. I feel like I have an obligation to give back in that aspect and train kids and get them on the right track. Hopefully a few of them can go around the world and do their thing."

SD: Sentiments I'm sure we can all agree with. I talked a little bit about this with James Ray yesterday and how the lack of regional territories is hurting business. OVW isn't enough for the WWE's future generations. They need to be working different regions to really learn their craft.

The rest of the article he discusses WrestleMania, WCW and his wedding to Sharmell. It's worth a read.

Kid Kash shoots from the hip

"I'd been there for three years and not one single iota of a pay raise or anything. I asked many times for one, but it never seemed to be in the budget. Every time I turned around, somebody else was being hired. You can almost figure that they were making more than what I was making," said Kash. "It's a little slap in the face. I wasn't asking for hardly anything, really. I guess they appreciated me going out, putting guys over and making them look good, but they didn't appreciate me enough to make my effort worthwhile."


His trainer, Ricky Morton, agrees with Kash's decision:"I think it was one of the best decisions he made. When you come from a situation [like that], you're fighting a losing cause," Morton said. "It was a great decision for him to leave there. You can get caught up in that rat race; it's like scrambled eggs, dude. It was the best decision that I thought he made, especially if he's going to advance himself maybe to WWE. He's got a lot of potential. He's one of the best."

SD: In the article you can see Kash's comments on his own career, ECW and a fairly well known tag team. I don't see any positive benefits to shooting on his former employer and their stars. Kash is in his mid-30s already. If he dreams of wrestling at WrestleMania he needs to get in the company now.


Japanese group forced from venue

Kokusai Puroresu Promotion was forced to abandon their venue at a fruit and vegetable market in Yokohama after their diesel truck failed to pass exhaust inspections for the metropolitan area. The venue, which had 50 seats set around ringside, offered shoppers a chance to see a profesional wrestling in an intimate venue. For the past year, this group has been forced to only perform in venues with a ring already set up.

SD: Sounds to me like a backyard fed that caught on. Who knows...

New Group claims PPV deal

Dave Nelson, new owner of NWA Ohio, announced the formation of new wrestling fed, World Wrestling Association, based out of Columbus, Ohio and Orlando, Florida. He and "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan are working on this venture since they have pulled their offer to purchase controlling interest of NWA-TNA. According to the press release, their first ppv will be in October. They plan on staying with the NWA despite the name change.

SD: I should check out an NWA Ohio show one of these days. As for the news? We'll see...

4 Comments:

Blogger Stefan said...

Well, remember TNA ran in Nashville and Orlando for a while. Maybe it will be different "brands" like Raw and Smackdown? :)

4:52 PM, June 23, 2005  
Blogger Stefan said...

There's a link on his regular site where Dave Nelson discusses how much money they have up front and how much a tv network is willing to pay them for programming.

5:03 PM, June 23, 2005  
Blogger Stefan said...

http://www.nwaohio.com/interview.htm

"We had a discussion and I gave him a written proposal in the amount of ten million dollars to purchase TNA."

"We have one network that’s telling us they will pay $150,000 per hour of wrestling we produce. Granted that’s nothing compared to what WWE is doing, but that’s huge for a new company. TNA pays Fox $35,000 to be on TV."

5:18 PM, June 23, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I miss MECW it was more than a Wrestling fed it was a Lifestyle.

8:49 PM, June 23, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home